Garages tend to be used for more than just storing vehicles, instead, they are a fantastic source of extra storage space attached to your home. Over time your garage may start to look cluttered and messy if it isn’t organised properly. We have put together a list of the top easy ways you can organise your garage.
1. Store items using vertical space. If you have garden tools or equipment you can easily hang it on walls using hooks or storage shelves.
2. Use shelving racks – shelving racks can create lots of additional space in your garage. Store smaller items such as screws or nails in smaller tubs to ensure everything stays in one place.
3. Have a clear out – if you have items in your garage that are just collecting dust then it may be time for a clear-out. This will give you more space so you can organise all of the items you do need.
The vertical space in your garage offers overhead space for storage and is a great way to minimise clutter and organise your tools or equipment. We have put together a short list of tips that will help you get the most out of your vertical garage space.
1. You will need to choose the right storage system. You will need to determine what you will be using the storage for and choose a system that will satisfy your storage needs. You will need to remember that overhead storage systems tend to be far bulkier and are designed to hold more weight.
2. Store the most suitable items – things such as tires are a great option for overhead storage as they are big and bulky. Another tip is to consider seasonal rotation of your tools and equipment. Things such as lawnmowers or garden tools generally are only used half the year.
3. Labelling your stored items is another great tip, if you will be using storage boxes it will make things far easier to find if you group similar items together and label.
Commercial environments rely on doors for security, insulation, efficiency and more. The external and internal doors that are fitted will be integral to everyday operations, and sliding doors are regularly used to give ease of access with added security when needed. There are many types of sliding doors that can be fitted, each with subtle nuances that will make them suitable for different purposes. Whatever the demands of your commercial environment, you’ll be able to install a sliding door that will optimise your space.
What are the differences between the various types of sliding doors? Can they really be that different? The differences aren’t always that great, but sometimes, they’re much larger. It depends on the environment, the type of door, and how it is being used. Here’s a brief rundown of some of the different types of sliding commercial door, what they can do, how they might be used, and why they could work for your factory or warehouse:
- Multi purpose straight sliding doors. Usually made from steel, straight sliding doors are great because they’re very versatile and can be used in multiple environments, in different way.
- External industrial straight sliding door. This is similar to a normal straight sliding door, but it’s specifically designed for external use. It can be installed behind or in front of any structural opening, and can be made to order when relevant to make sure of a perfect fit.
- Bottom rolling sliding doors. These are electric sliding doors that are also usually made from steel, and can have unlimited opening widths.
- Top hung electric sliding doors. These can be top hung and top rolling, with or without a floor track. The actual specification will depend on the door size and its weight; top hung doors aren’t always suitable. If the doors are made to order you can choose from a number of features, such as windows, pedestrian door insets, locking systems and weather seals.
- Panelled sliding doors, or insulated steel panel straight sliding doors. There are few moving parts in this type of sliding door, so maintenance is kept to a minimum. The material will be something like double skinned steel, and the door will usually be set up with a top supported double track gear. Doors will usually be made to measure as standard, and come with various surface finishes and a variety of standard colours; some designs, like textured stucco, can hide wear and tear well.
To find out more about the specifications of these different sliding doors and to get a price for their manufacture and installation, you’ll usually need to make a full enquiry. This is because sliding doors can be used for openings of all widths and it’s difficult to give a generic price of specification. There are also various options available, and making an enquiry with a specialist commercial sliding door supplier is the right thing to do. You’ll have the opportunity to talk through the various options and make a detailed enquiry, before obtaining an official quote for the work required.
Over time your loft space may become very cluttered and messy meaning finding the motivation to give it a good clear out may be difficult but it sometimes gets to the stage that it has to be done. When your loft space becomes inaccessible due to clutter then it can be a safety issue and you really need to give it a good tidy up.
Start by preparing for it, book a day in your calendar and keep the whole day free, you want to ensure you do a proper job and don’t get distracted. Another great option is to ask for help, you will find it far easier if you have an extra pair of hands.
Start by having a good clear out – throw, sell, or donate any unwanted or unused items. You should then consider your storage options – tidy everything away into suitable storage. Once complete consider everything a good clean, hoover, or sweep up any debris and wipe down any windows or skylights.
If you have a garage door that isn’t working as it should be, you may be considering whether you should repair it or replace it. There are a few factors to consider which will help you make the right decision.
If you have an automatic garage door that stops working you may think it needs completely replacing, but it is often more cost effective to get your garage door fixed. If your garage door feels heavy, the springs may be knackered but work door springs are a simple fix.
If you are experiencing the same problems with your garage door time and time again, even with the problems being repaired then it is time to think about a complete replacement. When small problems arise if they are not fixed as soon as possible it can leave permanent damage.
The average garage door has a life expectancy of 15-30 years, whilst automatic doors having a shorter life of 10-15 years. If your garage door has exceeded these limits then it is time to get it replaced.
You must measure up accurately before getting a new garage door to ensure you buy the correct size. Ill fitting garage doors can let out heat and can pose security issues, so measuring is essential.
The main thing you need to know is the opening size, not the panel size, as the tolerance that’s allowed will depend on the manufacturer. Once you know the size of the opening, you can work out what size door you need.
Measure the width and height, measuring between the frame and from the floor to the top of the frame. If you’re having an electric door, you’ll also need to measure the space where the motor will go. If you are choosing a sectional garage door or a round the corner garage door, this will run on tracks either up into the ceiling or around the walls of the garage. You’ll need to measure these areas too, dependent on door type.
A garage is one of those desirable features that people look for when buying a home, but when it comes to actually using it, most people just don’t get the most out of their garage at all. It’s a nice idea to have one but in practice, it can be so much better utilised. If you have a garage you are not using to its full potential, here are some ideas to help you.
- Make your garage better insulated. This will allow you to use it for a number of different things, such as a home gym or a workshop. You can use a garage in many different ways to add to your lifestyle.
- Install windows. More natural light will help make your garage a better environment.
- Choose a new garage door. This will make it easier to access your garage, meaning you can instantly begin to get more use out of it.
What do a garage door
and garage storage space have in common, you might be wondering. Well, think
about a canopy or up and over garage door. It swings open outwards and needs to
be opened manually, so you will have to be able to get close to the door in
order to open it. Compare this to a sectional or roller door. These door styles
open vertically, and they can be fully motorised as well. They will save you
space due to the style of the opening, and not having to get close to the
garage door to open it.
A sectional door or
roller shutter garage door will give you a larger storage capacity inside the
garage and you can store awkwardly shaped items or have fixtures and fittings
close to the door as well. It’s a flexible option that will benefit you and
Every area will have its own considerations and its own character. The garage door you choose for your London property must be just right for a property in this area, allowing you to enjoy the full benefits of having a new garage door installed. You must install a door that will last you for long enough to make the most of it, and that will work in the way you want it to. London garage doors need to work with your property specifically, ensuring that it will work in harmony with the rest of the features of your property.
So what makes a good garage door in London? Anyone living in the capital will know that it’s busy, noisy and not the most peaceful of places! A garage door needs to work with that and counteract the potentially negative aspects of being in the city. Your garage will most definitely benefit.
Here are some of the pointers to consider when choosing a garage door in London:
- It must be made of strong, robust material. There is a lot of pollution in London and in order for your garage door to last, you will need it to be strong and sturdy. A material like steel or aluminium should be good, though aluminium might be more easily dented.
- The colour should hide some of the dirt and grime. London is busy, filled with traffic, people and even urban animals like foxes. It might be tempting to choose a bright white garage door, but it might not be the best choice if you live in an inner city area. You might be better off choosing a darker door that will hide some of the dirt of the city.
- Secure. Your property might be more at risk of burglaries if you have a garage, as the garage door might look to be an easy access point. Make sure burglars don’t have an easy time of getting into your garage, by choosing a door that is strong and highly secure. It is possible to get high security garage door designs, and if you choose a style like a roller door or a sectional door, it won’t be easy to jam it open. Any new garage door will be an improvement on an old one, which might have gaps that make it easy to force the door open.
- Easy to fit into the space. Properties in London are often smaller as a result of being in inner city areas. If you are lucky enough to have a garage, it might be smaller – double garages aren’t as common, unless the garage is further away from your house. Make sure you can get a garage door to fit the opening you have.
- Affordable. Londoners are used to the general cost of living being higher. This doesn’t have to be the case with garage doors. Browse online until you find some that are reasonably priced and offer good value for money. Don’t pay over the odds for your London garage door.
Garage door suppliers are everywhere – on the internet, in physical shops… there are plenty of suppliers once you begin your search. In order to find the right supplier for you, it’s important to know what you are looking for. Do you want a classic up and over door? Would you prefer a round the corner door? Do you want a side hinged door to give the appearance of a stable? Whatever you want, you need to find the supplier who can meet your needs.
As an end user, installation is also important. Ask suppliers whether they can recommend installers or if they have their own installers for their brands and products. It’s not something that most end users want to install themselves, especially if you want the door to be hung properly to ensure maximum security. Once you have found a supplier with the doors you love who can offer you installation solutions, you have found the right one.